Is Everything the Fault of Social Media?

It seems that one of the arguments being put forward after the debacle concerning the confrontation on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial is that we haven’t learned how to properly manage Social Media. This from conservatives as much as liberals and progressives.

Sorry, but I can’t buy that argument.

In the first place, it implies that we are easily manipulated by things like viral videos and take positions that we might not otherwise take if Facebook, YouTube, or Twitter did not exist. In other words, Facebook, YouTube and Twitter (less so the rest - we haven't really heard too many commentators and politicians denouncing Instagram, or God forbid, Pinterest), have become the 21st century's Orwellian propaganda and we are clumsy little fools who are pushed and pulled hither and yon by Russians, hackers, or a Brazilian blogger who saw a hook and went for it to boost clicks, in the case of the Covington Confrontation.

This is exactly the Russia-stole-the-election theory. And just like the theory that voters are dumb and ready to believe anything - at least the opposing party's voters - here we have a case of viewers being willing to believe anything. Because of Social Media.

And here's why I disagree with that.

Yes, people jumped on the bandwagon fairly early on this past Saturday, but that's because there's deep divisions and polarization and anything that looks like it might paint some kids in MAGA hats in a bad light is catnip to those opposed to Trump and anything related to him. But it's not because they were truly fooled. It's because they wanted to believe or conveniently needed to believe that it might be true. Even as the actual edited minute and a half suggested nothing of the extreme extrapolations that some were driven to. Including Jim Carey.

And this is as old as humanity itself.

Rumour is a pipe
Blown by surmises, jealousies, conjectures
And of so easy and so plain a stop
That the blunt monster with uncounted heads,
The still-discordant wavering multitude,
Can play upon it.

The wavering multitude is still discordant, even as the instruments of rumor (that is, the reactions to a short video) have changed from those of the late 16th century. And even as post-modern democratic political systems are not anywhere close to what was a far more dangerous political and personal world that the Bard knew.

Of course, the other part of the argument that we don't know how to manage Social Media has to do with the elites, in broadcast media and in digital media. Those who do the actual managing of Social Media. And that inevitably brings in the government as well. And as government holds hearings and vaguely threatens more regulations, we have seen in the past few months rather strange things like The Federalist's Ben Domenech (who seems to profess to being an anarcho-libertarian) saying the government needs to push back on Social Media's private censorship of mostly conservative voices. Or at least to call out discrimination on the part of FB, Twitter, and Google.

Private rights and the public square. Growing worries about digital fakes that look completely authentic. Everyone's looking for a government regulator to clean things up it seems.

But think about the past few days. A video went viral perhaps because media picked up on it through a Brazilian blogger. And after the crazed denunciations, more data, (especially more video) on the event, and on the participants, came to light and people either walked back their comments or doubled down.

It might be vicious and infuriating, but it's also democracy in action. Even if it feels angry and rancid at times.

Will Nathan Phillips invite the kids from Covington to talk about what they went through? Probably not. Will the Black Hebrew Israelites - especially the local D.C. chapter - suddenly preach love and understanding? Not too likely. Will Joy Behar say it's wrong for much of the media to have as their goal the ending of Trump's presidency? Hey, at least she admitted it's their goal. And that's an honest step in the right direction.

So, I have to feel that while civics might seem to be unable to rise to the challenges that Social Media present, that's because civics have been downgraded for decades before Facebook, or even Google, appeared. We need civics right now. We need a return to understanding how the Constitution works and why it works. Understanding your country's civics is never a bad idea. And is a much better idea than turning Social Media into some form of NPR.

Posted by Keeley at January 24, 2019 9:44 PM
Comments
Comment #437225

Klearly the KKKids from Kovington Katholic in Kentucky koming from their pro rape konvention were looking to make trouble in DC in their maggot hoods.

Trmps presidency has already ended, a traitor with 5 death penalty charges pending now is still there because no one likes his legal successor from The Pence Motel on Tobacco Road.

His boss Putain is messing in the kurrency market trying to tank the dollar. If something serious happens there, even the reich wing might abandon this Kabal of Krimnals, who are all siding with the putain against the US. There is no Konjecture involved, just treason and treachery.

Posted by: ohrealy at January 25, 2019 2:07 PM
Comment #437226

How many controversies are generated by people releasing their own videos? Who should be the judge as to whether other people can access those videos? There are a myriad of different settings people can apply to their own content, and to other people’s content. Why do the social media platforms believe they should decide who and what is seen?


For some reason social media platforms have taken it upon themselves to determine what content can be accessed by others. The platforms are programming algorithms that single out content they, the programmers and platform administrators, deem unacceptable. What gives them the ability to arbitrarily use their vague boundaries formed by opinion as guidelines for the rest of us must adhere to. They apply these guidelines before anyone has the ability to make up their own mind. They silence what they disagree with and keep the rest of us in ignorance.

There is something fundamentally wrong with that.

Posted by: Weary Willie at January 25, 2019 2:42 PM
Comment #437227

I postponed my comment long enough for ohrealy to slip his in first. My bad. Strike while the iron is hot, I should say.

Does anyone think it is right to censor ohrealy’s comment because of the vulgar references he makes? ohrealy’s comment is stated as a fact, that the Covington children are “pro rape”. He claims the were “looking to make trouble”. Both comments are false and inflammatory. They were designed to be inflammatory.

Any of those comments would get scrutiny on the large social media platforms. It seems they would receive even greater examination if they were uttered by Milo, or Alex Jones. What makes ohrealy’s comment any different that what Alex Jones has been de platformed (censored) for?

Why is it permissible for ohrealy to spew these falsehoods portrayed as facts, but Alex Jones gets pilloried for asking uncomfortable questions?

I’m not suggesting ohrealy be banned for making such outlandish claims. In fact, I support his right and ability to do so. What I disagree with is how the large social media platforms are censoring comments like ohrealy’s before anyone can make the judgement call for or against them. It’s not the social media’s call. It’s ours.


Posted by: Weary Willie at January 25, 2019 2:56 PM
Comment #437229

Ed O’hrealy’s rhetoric is very hateful, vulgar, irrational, and perhaps indicative of someone who may dangerous (based on death wishes to the President of the United States of American, and others).
For example, see # [42] below, where he calls Trump a “terrorist”, and in [43] below, where states that Trump should have been “executed” by now.
I have not yet seen direct “threats”, but close, and Ed O’hrealy’s rhetoric has been getting more and more hateful over time, and I know Watchblog has ohrealy’s (Ed O.) IP address, and Ed O’hrealy also has a website (ohrealy.blogspot.com/).

  • [01]Ohrealy wrote (re: open borders): You are really waving a red flag in front of me by mentioning Texas. I am in favor of moving the border from the Rio Grande back to the Nueces, at least, where it belongs. The northern part that came from the Louisiana Purchase should really belong to Oklahoma.
  • [02]Ohrealy wrote: I certainly think it would be better if Texas was still part of Mexico. We should trade it for Baja California.
  • [03]Ohrealy wrote: Oh, and West Texas could just be one large penal colony, to house all the people that we want to put in jail, about 5 million if some folks get their way (Posted by: ohrealy at March 15, 2006 11:16 PM)
  • [04]Ohrealy wrote: I keep track of everything I write, and you evidently do not, …
  • [05]Ohrealy wrote: … threads were flooded with long nonsensical posts by Sicilian eagle, D.A.N., and joebagodonuts. I don’t come into here to read that crap. When people respond to it, they just get more of the same.
  • [06]Ohrealy wrote: And let’s move the capital from Washington DC, to Nauvoo, Illinois. The rest of D.C. should become a museum didstrict, and be part of Maryland.
  • [07]Ohrealy wrote: I’m sure Mueller will attempt to get Dumpty to resign.
  • [08]Ohrealy wrote: Now the inauguration is being looked into, a slush fund never accounted, and plenty of Russians in attendance, including Natalia Veselnitskaya and Rinat Akhmetshin from the Trump Tower meeting, supporting the candidate they helped.
  • [09]Ohrealy wrote: They’re not going to deport the people they need, just the ones who’ve gotten educations that they don’t need.
  • [10]Ohrealy wrote: I never trust a right winger or believe anything they say, whether a troll on a website or a justice on the SCOTUS. They have an agenda, trying to keep a minority in control of a country where most people disagree with their agenda.
  • [11]Ohrealy wrote: Most significantly, the rest of the world is now looking for an alternative currency to the dollar. This is only really happening because of lack of confidence in the current US government.
  • [12]Ohrealy wrote: If you see AOC [Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez] as bad, that bad is in your head, and you should figure out how that got into your head, and who put it there.
  • [13]Ohrealy wrote: Tramp [Trump] is a stochastic terrorist. Wray should go to the White House and arrest him immediately.
  • [14]Ohrealy wrote: You’re going to have to resort to the dog whistles like the last reich wing author here had to do to gin up the tin foil hat people.
  • [15]Ohrealy wrote: Mass murdering reich wingers like the Kentucky Kroger Killer [nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/10/white-supremacist-shooting-in-louisville-kentucky-kroger.html] and that Soros hating Nazi in Pittsburg aren’t dirt. That would be an insult to dirt. They’re the sticky bottom of a pile of dried up animal excrement.
  • [16]Ohrealy wrote: I agree that the Tramp should cut out his callous fascist, s*xist, racist rage and shouting or serve two years in the tanning bed.
  • [17]Ohrealy wrote: Why don’t you lazy people in Texas quit griping and actually do something useful about it [illegal immigration], if you’re not satisfied with what the Federal government is doing.
  • [18]Ohrealy wrote: And let’s move the capital from Washington DC, to Nauvoo, Illinois. The rest of DC should become a museum didstrict, and be part of Maryland.
  • [19]Ohrealy wrote: (March 28, 2008 08:18 PM Comment #249452): Doctors want single payer to help them get paid. It will not directly affect the care that their patients get, just accounting expenses.
  • [20]Ohrealy wrote: Take your memory pill, as well as the other ones, paranoid jackass, we have already had this conversation before.
  • [21]Ohrealy wrote: Tramp is already giving up on the presidency. He’ll be gone soon. Pence is going to be filling in for him at international meetings.
  • [22]Ohrealy wrote: Is this article supposed to be ironic, or just stupid? You’ve fallen all the way through the sewer and into the sewage treatment plant with this one.
  • [23]Ohrealy wrote: Cocaine Mitch is getting paid to confirm judges, and Kennedy was probably paid to retire. The reich wing is so crooked they’re all going to need a huge corkscrew to get buried.
  • [24]Ohrealy wrote: As for Russia, please. Tramp showed his love for Putain again in Paris. “Russia, if you’re listening..” really happened. That’s espionage and treason. If any liberal had done that, the reich wing would be calling for impeachment, removal, and assassination.
  • [25]Ohrealy wrote: Why are you bothering to put articles up on this website? You will never get another reader here that has not participated in this site when it was a much better forum. Anyone who participated then would be disgusted by the content now. You might get additional readers if you changed the name to pinocchioblog, or moronidiotimbecileblog, or tinfoilhatblog.
  • [26]Ohrealy wrote: The main question for this election is the same as it has been in every election in this century, how much is the reich wing going to cheat and are they going to get away with it?
  • [27]Ohrealy wrote: Philipino-Italian American and fake Seminole Sayoc was a roadie for Chippendales.
  • [28]Ohrealy wrote: Another F rated article on a D rated website. You’re going to have to resort to the dog whistles like the last reich wing author here had to do to gin up the tin foil hat people.
  • [29]Ohrealy wrote: 700 F rated articles from this “author” at this D rated website.
  • [30]Ohrealy wrote: On the conclusion to your stupid article, why isn’t tramp building a wall between Mexico and Guatemala? The caravan started as a relatively small group of refugees, then became much larger when tramp gave them all that publicity. It’s like he needs this caravan to get as big as possible for some reason.
  • [31]Ohrealy wrote: What a stupid article. Globalism is a corporate policy that the right wing loves, in spite of Steve Bannon’s efforts.
  • [32]Ohrealy wrote: The house may be the one owned by Mark Judge’s grandmother. When Rachel Miller began questioning Brat [Brett Kavanaugh] about that date in his calendar, Lindsay Graham began pitching his hissy fit to stop Rachel Miller’s questioning. He knows Brat is a rapist, and wants him on the SCOTUS. Scum of the earth.
  • [33]Ohrealy wrote: The right wing party are The American Psycho Party. They did it to themselves. Brat Kava Nought did it to himself. The incels love rapists. All the filth, including Georgetown Prep, should be sued and prosecuted. Julie Swetnick: www.commondreams.org/sites/default/files/users/user20/declaration_3.jpg
  • [34]Ohrealy wrote: There are dozens of sealed criminal indictments on the DC docket. Mueller probably did this in advance of whatever Sasquatch loving time travel believing big toilet fraudster Whitaker will attempt to do. He’s an idiot. Mueller is not. I wonder who outsmarted whom. Mr[s]. Kellyanne Conway is calling the administration a “dumpster fire”, and he’s a far reich wing Clinton hater.
  • [35]Ohrealy wrote: Tramp [Trump]: I love Wikileaks I love Wikileaks I love Wikileaks I love Wikileaks I love Wikileaks I love Wikileaks I love Wikileaks I love Wikileaks I love Wikileaks I love Wikileaks I love Wikileaks I love Wikileaks I love Wikileaks I love Wikileaks I love Wikileaks I love Wikileaks
  • [36]Ohrealy wrote: this “d.a.n.” person is screwing up this site even more with his long posts which no one will ever read. They cause problems scrolling. Should be banned.
  • [37]Ohrealy wrote: Any wall-nut stupid enough to believe in “the wall” is too ignorant to participate in any discussion anywhere.
  • [38]Ohrealy wrote: Klearly the KKKids from Kovington Katholic in Kentucky koming from their pro rape konvention were looking to make trouble in DC in their maggot hoods.
  • [39]Ohrealy wrote: Trmps presidency has already ended, a traitor with 5 death penalty charges pending now is still there because no one likes his legal successor from The Pence Motel on Tobacco Road.
  • [40]Ohrealy wrote: His boss Putain is messing in the kurrency market trying to tank the dollar. If something serious happens there, even the reich wing might abandon this Kabal of Krimnals, who are all siding with the putain against the US. There is no Konjecture involved, just treason and treachery.
  • [41]Ohrealy wrote: Barr worked hand in glove with GHWB, who voted for HRC in 2016, but he has also gone along with the foreign directed conspiracy theories so popular with the reich wing scum. What is needed is a program of de-nazification as happened in Germany after WW2.
  • [42]Ohrealy wrote: Some just have the name without any reputation at all. Having a government that is actually open is a first requirement, and the stochastic terrorist [Trump] is holding it hostage now for a wall that can be flown over, climbed over, tunneled under, and sawn through.
  • [43]Ohrealy wrote: The only question should be whether or not we can get back to “normal” after Putain’s puppet [Trump] is gone. He [Trump] should have already been executed by now.
Posted by: d.a.n at January 25, 2019 4:09 PM
Comment #437230

“Does anyone think it is right to censor ohrealy’s comment because of the vulgar references he makes?”

I certainly do not Weary. Months ago, when this person began posting, I made the decision to simply ignore “he, she, it”.

Keeley writes; ” We need a return to understanding how the Constitution works and why it works. Understanding your country’s civics is never a bad idea. And is a much better idea than turning Social Media into some form of NPR.”

Absolutely correct. Our educational system was taken over by the national government and our children have been dumbed-down ever since. We have fallen far behind other nations in educating our children. It has gotten so bad, so horrific, so crazy that educators at some of our top schools of higher education felt a need to suspend classes and provide counseling for students when President Trump was elected.

Never have we had as many “educated” people know so little about our Founding and Constitution. Good intentioned people have been duped into promoting government as God, group rights over individual rights, and feel-good morality.

Recently, Bill deBlasio,the mayor of New York city said; “Here’s the truth, brothers and sisters, there’s plenty of money in the world. Plenty of money in this city,” the mayor said, flanked by screens with graphs of productivity outpacing compensation. “It’s just in the wrong hands!”

I have never heard any politician, this prominent, make such a proclamation praising socialistic and communistic methods over capitalism.

Posted by: Royal Flush at January 25, 2019 4:14 PM
Comment #437232
Royal Flush wrote: Recently, Bill deBlasio,the mayor of New York city said; “Here’s the truth, brothers and sisters, there’s plenty of money in the world. Plenty of money in this city,” the mayor said, flanked by screens with graphs of productivity outpacing compensation. “It’s just in the wrong hands!”
That’s interesting.

No, I am not suggesting Ed O’hrealy should be banned (despite requesting that I be banned several times), because Ed O’hrealy is the gift that keeps on giving, and Ed O’hrealy is shooting himself in the foot (certainly not helping bring about the changes Ed O’hrealy wants). However, Ed O’hrealy should be careful about who should be executed or killed. Direct threats can land you in jail.

Yes, unfortunately, most people don’t have a clue about the U.S. Constitution.

Posted by: d.a.n at January 25, 2019 4:38 PM
Comment #437233

Thanks to d.a.n. for the “jaywalking” video clip.

There are no longer any late night comedians. What we have instead are Leftist promoting their own political agenda. These people are insidious. I once watched one of their breed chastise his audience because they applauded an action by President Trump rather than boo. Some of them have sunk so low as to capitalize on their own family problems.

Posted by: Royal Flush at January 25, 2019 4:58 PM
Comment #437234

4th of July: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Be9f7Ovgg

Geography: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_pw8duzGUg


Posted by: d.a.n at January 25, 2019 4:59 PM
Comment #437235
Royal Flush wrote: There are no longer any late night comedians.
That’s true. I no longer watch any of them. They used to make fun of people on ALL sides. But today, they only spew vitriol and hate of Trump, and conservatives. I also refuse to go to any concerts or movies with certain so-called entertainers (who are all still here in the U.S., despite stating they were moving to Canada or Europe). Posted by: d.a.n at January 25, 2019 5:12 PM
Comment #437237

Here you go d.a.n

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/58000-non-citizens-voted-in-Texas-state-official-says-504881122.html

Posted by: kctim at January 25, 2019 5:48 PM
Comment #437239

Who is, Ed O’hrealy

Posted by: Weary Willie at January 25, 2019 7:16 PM
Comment #437264

kctim, Thanks kctim for the link!
I heard about that in the TV news yesterday, but had not read about it yet. 58,000 !?!

I added it to the growing list of voter fraud by non-citizens.

While 58,000 seems like a big number, it is 0.2% of the population of Texas (i.e. 28.3 Million). While that may not be enough to change the outcome of most state-wide elections, it can make a difference in close state-wide elections. The real problem is what is happening in local elections. The Main Stream Media is always trying to trivialize the vote-fraud issue, because the Main Stream Media understands that most of the fraudulent voters are voting Democrat.

For years, the Main Stream Media has also reported that non-citizens commit less crime, but it appears that is no longer true, as several studies provide proof that the crime rates, homicide rates, and election fraud by non-citizens has been rising since the shamnesty of 1986.

By the way, you will notice that the calculations are based on ALL non-citizens in the U.S. (about 25.3 Million in year 2018). In the past, the common excuse by the Main Stream Media and similar ilk was that crimes attributed to illegal immigrants did not differentiate between illegal immigrants and non-citizens with legal permission to be in the U.S. The calculations from the GAO and DHS corroborate the fact that crime by non-citizens has been rising since the shamnesty of 1986.

All of the things many Democrats do has a common-thread.
Many Democrats and similar ilk, who have clearly demonstrated that they have nefarious and despicable motives, to acquire more power via more VOTES and MONEY:

  • (01) because many Democrats, most of the Main Stream Media, others on the left, and similar ilk (despicably) pit U.S. citizens and illegal immigrants against each other for votes, by pandering to illegal immigrants for 30+ years for more votes (via more representation in the House, via more U.S. House representatives, via apportionment of representatives (i.e. more electoral votes, and more federal funding), based on population, based on the decennial CENSUS, which does not verify U.S. citizenship;
  • (02) because many Democrats are also fighting against a check-box on the CENSUS, despite the check-box being totally inadequate to prove citizenship. Democrats disguise their desire for power (for THEIR party) as compassion for illegal immigrants, while despicably pitting U.S. citizens and illegal immigrants against each other for votes and money.
  • (03) because many Democrats (and most of the main stream media) lie about crime by illegal immigrants, and refuse to report the 2 thousand (or more) homicides per year by criminal non-citizens (source: DHS); and 32% of everyone in federal prison is a criminal non-citizen (source: Source#3: cis.org/Huennekens/32-Federal-Inmates-Are-Aliens);
  • (04) because many Democrats (and most of the main stream media) lie about how massive illegal (or legal) immigration is costing U.S. tax payers $296+ Billion (www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/sep/21/mass-immigration-costs-govt-296-billion-year-natio/) per year in net losses (which does not include all costs, and does not include the cost of crime by illegal immigrants); that is a net loss of about $2,349.00 per year per household (126.22 Million households in 2017), or $916 per year per person (U.S. population=323 Million in 2017);
  • (05) because many Democrats are calling for open borders;
  • (06) because many Democrats are calling to abolish I.C.E. (Immigration and Customs Enforcement);
  • (07) because many Democrats want another shamnesty, like the shamnesty of 1986;
  • (08) because many Democrats refuse legislation to require employers to use eVerify (to verify eligibility for employment);
  • (09) because many Democrats want to give illegal immigrants drivers’ licenses, and also automatically register them to vote;
  • (10) because many Democrats want more mayors like Libby Schaaf (Oakland, CA), who warns illegal immigrants (including criminal illegal immigrants) before an ICE raid to arrest criminal illegal immigrants;
  • (11) because many Democrats want more sanctuary cities and states, like California, where Democrats have passed sanctuary city and sanctuary state laws that protect criminal illegal immigrants (i.e. an illegal immigrant by the name of Garcia Zarate (who had already been deported 5 times) can shoot and murder Kate Steinle, and be (www.cnn.com/2017/11/30/us/kate-steinle-murder-trial-verdict/index.html)for that murder, despite Zarate admitting to shooting the weapon that killed Kate Steinle (which should have been, at the very least, manslaughter);
  • (12) because many Democrats want to abolish the 2nd amendment, but many Democrats and many on the left call for restricting or eliminating 2nd Amendment rights, and say it is worth it “even if it saves only ONE life”, but conveniently ignore about 2 thousand people killed per year by criminal non-citizens (source: www.gao.gov/assets/320/316959.pdf);
QUESTION: Why do Democrats do all of that (above)?
ANSWER: For the votes, money, and power.
The common-thread in the list above, of everything the Democrats do, is that Democrats are motivated by their desire to acquire more power for THEIR party, by despicably pitting U.S. citizens and illegal immigrants against each other for more votes (via more representation) and more money (via more federal funding). It’s not easy to get much lower than that.

Posted by: d.a.n at January 26, 2019 2:11 PM
Comment #437266

Ed O’hrealy is ohrealy.

ohrealy has a website here: ohr

Posted by: d.a.n at January 26, 2019 2:17 PM
Comment #437304

http://ohrealy.blogspot.com/

Posted by: d.a.n at January 27, 2019 6:06 PM
Comment #437348

You’re soooo baaad d.a.n. Poor ohrealy.

Posted by: Royal Flush at January 28, 2019 3:12 PM
Post a comment