Nancy Pelosi Holds the State of the Union Hostage

The State of the Union Address by the president is about the relationship between Congress (both Houses) and the Executive. And the Judiciary - in the form of Supreme Court Justices - is present as well.

Of course it's also a rousing bit of partisan political theatre with the sitting president's supporters rising once and again to give a standing ovation to various items in the president's speech while the opposing party either barely clap or sit stone-faced with hands in their laps.

Does anyone remember Bill Clinton's State of the Union in 99? That self-deprecating bubbah laugh as he eluded to the impeachment proceedings and the Lewinsky scandal. And how the GOP just let him hang out there to dry with nary a consoling chuckle in response to the president's attempt at self-deprecating wit. Clinton survived of course, both that awkward moment, and his impeachment in the House of Representatives which got no further than the Senate where it died.

But the State of the Union speech was given damnit, and Congress and the president moved on.

That's because the sometimes ridiculous stage-managed State of the Union Address is a powerful symbol of America's long-surviving and prospering republic and its democratic traditions. It's a symbol of the relationship between the 3 main branches of the government.

It's also part of the Constitution, which requires - in Article II Section 3 - that the president "shall from time to time give to Congress information of the State of the Union and recommend to their Consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient."

Washington gave a speech in the first address in 1790 but Jefferson thought the process too similar to the Great Britain's Speech from the Throne and therefore too monarchical. So a written report was delivered until Woodrow Wilson restored Washington's speech and by the time FDR was in power, it had become a radio broadcast.

The Speaker of the House invites the President to give the speech before both Houses of Congress in the lower House's chambers, as well as members (at least some) of the Supreme Court and assorted guests, often with a key guest pointed out to make a dramatic rhetorical and therefore political point.

Nancy Pelosi has decide to screw with the tradition of several centuries in order to pressure President Trump to end the shutdown. According to Roll Call, "The California Democrat said a State of the Union address has never been delivered during a government shutdown "since the start of modern budgeting" in fiscal 1977. Pelosi also cited security concerns because the Secret Service and the Department of Homeland Security are not funded."

So Pelosi wrote Trump a letter where she says, "Sadly, given the security concerns and unless government re-opens this week, I suggest that we work together to determine another suitable date after government has re-opened for this address or for you to consider delivering your State of the Union address in writing to the Congress on January 29th."

Let's ignore a century of broadcast State of the Union addresses and return to the written letters of the 19th century. Not on the basis of any principle, seeing the Pelosi is light years from being an originalist when it comes to the Constitution. This is only being done as a backstabbing tactic in order to win the battle of the border wall and re-open government without a penny for a border barrier.

Posted by Keeley at January 16, 2019 9:54 PM
Comments
Comment #436873

Typically ignorant article and a good reason why this is a dead website. Shut it down and forget about it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/03/impeachment-trump/580468/

Posted by: ohrealy at January 17, 2019 2:07 PM
Comment #436874

Wonder why some continue to visit a “dead” website.

Keeley, I believe the president will find an appropriate venue in which to deliver his SOTU address. It is truly revealing that the House Speaker seems to want to exclude the people from the very forum existing for the people.

The Democrat Party and its current leaders are charging into oblivion. We wish them well on their journey.

Posted by: Royal Flush at January 17, 2019 2:59 PM
Comment #436875

Pelosi can go to Hawaii, democrats can go to P.R. Trump stays in D.C. wanting to negotiate the shutdown. Now Pelosi wants to postpone the SOTU. So she and a delegation to Egypt, Belgium, and Afghanistan. Trump cancels their Military flight but says they can fly commercial if they want. Barnum and Bailey has nothing on the D. C. Circus.

Posted by: Rich KAPitan at January 17, 2019 3:29 PM
Comment #436876

Trump told McConnell he would sign a clean CR. McConnell passed it unanimously on a voice vote, meaning complete bipartisan support. Trump THEN pulled the rug out and shut down the government, burning McConnell and re-establishing himself as a person who could not be relied on to make a deal. Now McConnell won’t lift a finger for him.

Trump invited Pelosi to the White House for a negotiation and then walked out, burning Pelosi and others. Bad move. Pelosi took away the House as a venue for the SOTU.

“I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck. … I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I’m not going to blame you for it.”
Donald Trump, 1/11/19

Of course, the whole stupid thing is just a distraction.

Think about it for two seconds. Trump had two years to pass this funding through a GOP House and a GOP Senate (using reconciliation). He never even bothered. Why now?

The distraction is obviously meant to take away attention from the SCO and the torrent of bad news about Trump, the Trump Campaign, and Russia.

Due to a redaction error by Manafort’s legal team, we now know Manafort was providing Konstantin Kilimnik, a Russian intelligence asset, with internal polling data from the 2016 campaign.

So we know, without question, that the Trump campaign was colluding with the Russians.

We also know the Russians supported Trump with an army of hackers. They conducted an attack on our democracy on Trump’s behalf, through virtually every social media platform.

We also know Trump has met one-on-one with Putin and ensured there is no record of those meetings. None whatsoever.

Trump is treason. The shutdown is just a larger, shinier object, a kidnapping of our government with American workers being held hostage.

Posted by: phx8 at January 17, 2019 3:57 PM
Comment #436877

And remember, all of this is occurring just two months after the Democrats dealt the GOP & Trump a shellacking at the polls, 54-46%. The polls were accurate for the midterms, and they now show Trump and the GOP in even further decline.

Posted by: phx8 at January 17, 2019 4:18 PM
Comment #436878

Chris Christie’s description of the Trmp administration:

“amateurs, grifters, weaklings, convicted and unconvicted felons”

Posted by: ohrealy at January 17, 2019 4:35 PM
Comment #436879

Ah, yes…the Liberal/Progressive/Socialist/Commie lies march on listening to a distant drum-beat provided by a small blind and deaf child. Our Pal phx8 has had his “hair-on-fire” for nearly two years and claiming with every post the downfall of President Trump. Yawn.

Trump is rising in the polls despite the lies and fake news of the Left. What great fun it will be to watch twenty or more Socialist/Commie Democrats vying for the right to represent their party in the next presidential election. Their total failure to attract voters to their anti-American agenda in 2020 should signal their total destruction as a unified political force.

Posted by: Royal Flush at January 17, 2019 4:46 PM
Comment #436880
phx8 wrote: So we know, without question, that the Trump campaign was colluding with the Russians… . . Trumps is treason.
More nonsense and lies from phx8, and not a shred of evidence to back up any of those fanatical claims.

Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, and some other Democrats are hypocrites, and they have blood on their hands, for despicably ignoring crime and cost due to illegal immigration.

Just saw this in the News (so far, as of 17-JAN-2019):
COST OF ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION:
Cost THIS DAY: %509,714,944
Illegal Aliens crossed border this year: 9,130
Total Cost this Year: $12,257,658,880
Total Aliens in the U.S.: 25,767,350
(Sources: DHS, Center for Immigration Studies, Federation for Immigration Reform, Institute for Defense Analysis)

Posted by: d.a.n at January 17, 2019 4:51 PM
Comment #436881

Yet, Democrats voted to give $54 Billion in foreign aid to other countries.

Posted by: d.a.n at January 17, 2019 4:52 PM
Comment #436882

The Democrats hypocrisy and refusal to protect the U.S. borders, and the Democrats’ despicable motives will catch up to them.

Posted by: d.a.n at January 17, 2019 4:57 PM
Comment #436883

phx8, SMH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Rich KAPitan at January 17, 2019 5:02 PM
Comment #436884

Interesting article in the New Yorker on Mark Burnett and the production of The Apprentice

“Most of us knew he was fake. He had just gone through I don’t know how many bankruptcies. But we made him out to be the most important person in the world. It was like making the court jester a king. We walked through the offices and saw chipped furniture. We saw a crumbling empire at every turn. Our job was to make it seem otherwise.”

“local vendors, previously stiffed by Trmp, refused to do business with them”

“The people I knew in the world of high finance understood it was all a joke”


Urban dictionary

retcon
(shortened form of RETroactive CONtinuity; first made popular in the comic book world)

1. (original meaning) Adding information to the back story of a fictional character or world, without invalidating that which had gone before.

2. (more common usage) Adding or altering information regarding the back story of a fictional character or world, regardless of whether the change contradicts what was said before.

to take previously known facts of a plot, then change the interpretation of it to fit new facts that are more curently convient to the writer, for no real reason.

Posted by: ohrealy at January 17, 2019 5:11 PM
Comment #436885
ohrealy wrote: to take previously known facts of a plot, then change the interpretation of it to fit new facts that are more currently convenient to the writer, for no real reason.
HHMMmmm … that sounds a lot like what ohrealy, phx8, and j2t2 excel at (i.e. distortion of facts, in general). The Apprentice is so, so bad, because it raised millions of dollars for many different charities, eh? Posted by: d.a.n at January 17, 2019 5:23 PM
Comment #436886

d.a.n., it must be terribly embarrassing for our Liberal Pals on WB to watch their party disintegrate into groups of braying donkeys each wanting to pull the party different directions.

Moderate Democrats are leaving the party in droves as they have no representation. Independent voters are shunning the party as they don’t understand why capitalism and rule of law are being discarded.

What we have left are the shrill voices of discontent shouting revolution.

Posted by: Royal Flush at January 17, 2019 5:40 PM
Comment #436888

Royal Flush,
Yes, you would think so.

However, phx8, j2t2, and ohrealy actually seem to be more like socialists (who love Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Bernie Sanders, and other self-proclaimed socialists), because they prefer to ride in the wagon, rather than help push the wagon.
They are extremists (as demonstrated by their many extremist comments over the years), including a lot of rude name-calling of anyone who does not agree with their extremist beliefs, summed up as follows:

This extreme wants a nanny-state, that will wipe their lazy butts for them; where parasitic politicians lure citizens into being increasingly dependent on the government; with massive cradle-to-grave government programs (which are usually severely mismanaged and corrupt; i.e. $70 Billion per year in Medicare fraud) that nurture a sense of entitlement and dependency on government; wants to grow government ever larger (despite the already current nightmare proportions); rewards failure and laziness; tries to disguise their envy and jealousy as demands for equality; and perpetuates the myth that many things should be free, and that we can somehow all live at the expense of everyone else.
Many Democrats are still almost as despicable, because many Democrats also support these despicable things.

Posted by: d.a.n at January 17, 2019 6:31 PM
Comment #436890

Who cares about a SOTU speech from a pathological liar anyway? It’s not like we don’t know the state of the union without Trump’s speech. It’s not like we will hear the state of the union from Trump anyway. The Atlantic link from ohrealy’s comment is interesting if for no other reason than it shows us just how much projecting the Trump chumps here on WB are doing.

Seems to me we have heard enough lies from Trump and his followers the past two years. It’s time for Putin’s b**ch to hit the road. I always thought his 4 years would teach the ignorant f**ks that voted for him enough, but I was wrong. They have doubled down on stupid it seems. The projecting here on this thread is a perfect example of that. So I would venture all they have learned is to keep repeating the Big Lie over and over again.


Lets take D.’s comments as an example of doubling down. He tells us, as he gaslights the bejesus out of all of us here on WB, the Big Lie time after time. He believes Trump when he tells us illegals are voting by the millions yet cannot offer proof of it. Meanwhile the repubs have been suppressing the vote for years now and aren’t despicable!

He isn’t alone, Royal is trying hard with his “fake news of the left” lies yet still believes Trump and his continuous string of lies.

And not one of them can tell the difference between European countries and Venezuela just as they can’t tell the difference between Sander’s democratic socialism, Warren’s enlightened capitalism and Chavez’s socialism. Instead we hear the Big Lie about
Medicare fraud
as if fraud doesn’t happen to private insurance companies.

Yeah conservatives tell us ” if you don’t give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they’ve lost all incentive because we’ve given them too much money.”
George Carlin


Posted by: j2t2 at January 17, 2019 7:40 PM
Comment #436891

“an older and less elegant generation called the horse-and-sparrow theory: If you feed the horse enough oats, some will pass through to the road for the sparrows.” Galbraith

Posted by: ohrealy at January 17, 2019 8:35 PM
Comment #436893
j2t2 wrote: Seems to me we have heard enough lies from Trump and his followers the past two years. It’s time for Putin’s b**ch to hit the road. I always thought his 4 years would teach the ignorant f**ks that voted for him enough, but I was wrong. They have doubled down on stupid it seems.
More hateful name-calling.
That’s always a sure sign of a failing argument.
j2t2 lies (again): Lets take D.’s comments as an example of doubling down… . He believes Trump when he tells us illegals are voting by the millions yet cannot offer proof of it.
Not true. I never wrote that there were millions, but I did write that nobody knows how often it happens, and that it is happening, as shown by the evidence below:
  • www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/local/19-illegal-immigrants-in-nc-voted-in-2016-election-feds/83-587333046
  • fairus.org/issue/societal-impact/noncitizens-voting-violations-and-us-elections
  • www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/san-francisco-allows-undocumented-immigrants-vote-school-elections-n893221
  • www.chron.com/news/politics/texas/article/Mexican-national-pleads-guilty-to-illegal-voting-13228190.php
  • www.heritage.org/election-integrity/commentary/more-cases-voter-fraud-pile-liberals-look-the-other-way
  • www.heritage.org/election-integrity/commentary/add-these-voter-fraud-cases-the-growing-list
  • www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article219920740.html
  • www.foxnews.com/politics/mexican-woman-charged-with-voter-fraud-accused-of-illegally-voting-in-2016-election
  • www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Mexican-national-indicted-for-illegal-voting-in-12914425.php
  • www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/grandmother-deported-voter-fraud-leaves-u-s-tears-n789766
  • www.cnsnews.com/news/article/annabel-scott/govt-employees-arrested-allegedly-selling-false-ids-illegal-aliens-voter
  • www.themonitor.com/news/local/article_e714d3b6-5f99-11e8-b5d6-bfc6cb82714e.html
  • www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2017-02-10/urbana-man-charged-living-voting-us-illegally.html
  • www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSbe4fK1crg (registered in multiple cities, and voted five times; she blames Trump)
  • www.krgv.com/story/38258409/2-arrested-in-hidalgo-co-for-voter-fraud
  • townhall.com/tipsheet/timothymeads/2018/07/29/22-illegal-aliens-arrested-in-identity-fraud-scheme-n2504580
  • www.dallasnews.com/news/elections/2017/07/13/suspect-west-dallas-vote-fraud-arrested-month-run
  • newbostonpost.com/2017/08/02/feds-bust-six-in-alleged-rmv-identity-fraud-scheme-to-benefit-illegal-immigrants/
  • www.lifesitenews.com/blogs/illegal-aliens-really-do-vote-and-always-for-democrats
  • www.ice.gov/news/releases/illegal-alien-arrested-charged-voter-fraud
  • thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/immigration/312239-feds-should-worry-less-about-russia-more-about-illegal-voters
j2t2 demonstrates being the epitome of “stupid” by not understanding the difference.
j2t2 wrote: Lets take D.’s comments as an example of doubling down… . He tells us, as he gaslights the bejesus out of all of us here on WB, the Big Lie time after time.
HHMMmmm … yet it was j2t2 who lied above (since I never said millions were voting in U.S. elections, that no one knows how many are, but it is happening).
j2t2 wrote: Meanwhile the repubs have been suppressing the vote for years now and aren’t despicable!
Where is the proof of vote suppression?
That sounds like another j2t2 lie.
According to j2t2 and many Democrats, the following requirements are considered voter suppression:
  • Require the voter to be a citizen of the United States.
  • Require the voter to identify themselves as eligible to vote.
  • Require the voter to only vote once.
  • Require the voter to not be deceased.
j2t2 wrote: Instead we hear the Big Lie about Medicare fraud as if fraud doesn’t happen to private insurance companies.
Unfortunately, what j2t2 (and similar socialist ilk) don’t understand is that the government does very few things better than the private sector.
Obamacare proved that.
Medicare fraud of $70 Billion per year is more proof of it.
j2t2 and similar socialist ilk don’t seem to understand is that too much of either of the two extremes is bad:

Cheater Category #1 and #2:

  • Cheater Extreme #1: One extreme wants regressive taxation, unfettered capitalism, monopolies, and the freedom to explore and wallow in almost every manifestation of unchecked greed (e.g. rampant greed that led to a mortgage crisis from 2005-to-2009 and up to 10,000 foreclosures per day).

  • Cheater Extreme #2: The other extreme wants a nanny-state, that will wipe their lazy butts for them; where politicians lure citizens into being increasingly dependent on the government; with massive cradle-to-grave government programs (which are usually severely mismanaged; e.g. $70 Billion per year in Medicare fraud; $Trillions borrowed from Social Security; etc.) that nurture a sense of entitlement and dependency on government; wants to grow government ever larger (despite the already current nightmare proportions); rewards failure and laziness; tries to disguise their envy and jealousy as demands for equality; and perpetuates the myth that many things should be free, and that we can somehow all live at the expense of everyone else.
The biggest problem is extremism, and the three stooges epitomize Extreme#2.

Posted by: d.a.n at January 17, 2019 9:26 PM
Comment #436910

But D., Putin’s b**ch is an accurate description of the facts. The man is owned by Putin, therefore he is Putin’s b**ch.

Using your definition of lie most of what you say about others would fit the bill. I mean no one said you said millions did they? What was said was you believe Trump, who did say millions of illegals voted yet his voter fraud commission choked on their own vomit. But you knew that….right? Or are you the stupid one? The epitome of stupid IMHO is someone who repeats the Big Lie over and over hoping it will become true.

As an example, you would have us believe that because you falsely say I was lying you couldn’t be guilty of it….how stupid is that?

Posted by: j2t2 at January 18, 2019 3:53 AM
Comment #436915
j2t2 wrote: Or are you the stupid one? … How stupid is that?
First, j2t2 was giving lessons on decency.
Now, j2t2 is giving lessons on stupidity.
Posted by: d.a.n at January 18, 2019 8:20 AM
Comment #436918

Yet we still have the Big Lie in every comment from you D.. There is a difference between pointing out stupidity and giving lessons after all.

From the excuses you make about voter suppression to the conservative narrative about government cannot do Medicare right, only business can. Yet another part of the Big Lie. Just ask anyone from the rest of the first world.

I am amazed you still pretend voter suppression isn’t a conservative plan to retain control of the government. Your silly rebuttal should be proof enough but hey…Proof you say -
https://www.brennancenter.org/new-voting-restrictions-america

Tell you what D., go through your list of voter fraud and tell us which of the ALEC voter suppression laws would have prevented the fraud.

Your poor example of “extreme” is part of the conservative narrative or the Big Lie D.. Like I quoted earlier “Yeah conservatives tell us ” if you don’t give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they’ve lost all incentive because we’ve given them too much money.”
George Carlin

Posted by: j2t2 at January 18, 2019 10:53 AM
Comment #436923

d.a.n. wrote; “First, j2t2 was giving lessons on decency.
Now, j2t2 is giving lessons on stupidity.”

Holding an advanced degree in “basket-weaving” gives him that right. When his mail-order doctor of divinity degree arrives in the mail we can expect lectures on religious morality.

The Left is beginning to splinter. Early signs are even being noticed by the talking heads on MSNBC. The fun has begun.

Posted by: Royal Flush at January 18, 2019 3:06 PM
Comment #436925

Aside from j2t2’s usual babbling, j2t2’s link above helps proves that j2t2 (and many Democrats) consider the following requirements to be voter suppression:

  • Require the voter to be a citizen of the United States.
  • Require the voter to provide identification.
  • Require the voter to only vote once.
  • Require the voter to not be deceased.
  • Require the voter to not be in jail or prison for a felony conviction.

j2t2’s many comments over the years reveals that j2t2 is an socialist extremist, who wants a nanny-state, that will wipe their lazy butts for them; where parasitic politicians lure citizens into being increasingly dependent on the government; with massive cradle-to-grave government programs (which are usually severely mismanaged and corrupt; i.e. $70 Billion per year in Medicare fraud) that nurture a sense of entitlement and dependency on government; wants to grow government ever larger (despite the already current nightmare proportions); rewards failure and laziness; tries to disguise their envy and jealousy as demands for equality; and perpetuates the myth that many things should be free, and that we can somehow all live at the expense of everyone else.

Posted by: d.a.n at January 18, 2019 3:22 PM
Comment #436927

j2t2, Did you vote in the last election?

Posted by: d.a.n at January 18, 2019 3:31 PM
Comment #436928

HHMmmmmm … that would be in Colorado, right?

Posted by: d.a.n at January 18, 2019 3:32 PM
Comment #436929

Hey d.a.n., should we offer to sell seats for the impeachment proceedings in the senate to our Liberal Pals? My guess is we could get a few thousand per seat from these loons.

Posted by: Royal Flush at January 18, 2019 3:48 PM
Comment #436933

Good idea, Royal Flush!
Especially if they are so thoroughly delusional to believe all of the nonsense they hear, read, and see on the MSM (Main Stream Media).

Perhaps they would also like to buy some ocean beach-front property in Arizona? Or Colorado?

Posted by: d.a.n at January 18, 2019 6:40 PM
Comment #436934

Hey d.a.n., how about we sell them a date with either…AOC or Pelosi?

Posted by: Royal Flush at January 18, 2019 6:48 PM
Comment #436962

Yeah. They love AOC. Poor Pelosi won’t have a date.

Posted by: d.a.n at January 19, 2019 11:38 AM
Post a comment