Ghosts of New Year Past

I put the boys on the plane back to the U.S. I talked to Chrissy on Skype. Right now I am watching a nature show with Portuguese narration about New Zealand. New Year Eve party. However, if you turn the page you can see that I have all I really need.

I do not plan to swim in that whiskey river, at least not very far, maybe one drink when the clock strikes midnight.

I don't feel sorry for myself. This is my choice and among my preferred outcomes given the other choices. I had several options for New Year events, but I don't much like the sorts of parties. It goes beyond just being boring, which I suppose I am. New Year has never been a happy time for me. I suspect it is not happy for lots of people, which accounts for much of the alcohol addling that accompanies most celebrations.

When I was a kid, New Year meant that I stayed up late watching the late-late movies. In those days TV was not twenty-four hours. On most days, the stations would sign off around 2am with the playing of the Star Spangled Banner. New Year was different.

My strongest New Year memory is a very sad feeling. It must have been 1972. I had been in the hospital after spiting up blood. Our doctor called it an ulcer. The diagnosis later kept me out of the Air Force. It also ruined my swim team season. I think it was a misdiagnosis, since it never recurred, but who knows. More serious was my mother's health. We knew there was something seriously wrong, but the (same) doctor couldn't figure it out. She died of leukemia nine months later. I didn't know this would happen, but I remember thinking that things would not be the same, if for no other reason that I was growing up.

I went down into the basement, where we had a refrigerator with Coke. Even then I drank a lot of the stuff (even though I was not supposed to because of the "ulcer"). Our basement was a little bit creepy. It was not finished. My father and grandfather had done a little work, but they were usually drunk when they worked and you could tell. It was also full of spiders and perpetually damp, so damp and full of spiders that when my pet newt escaped his terrarium he managed to survive two years down there, with sufficient habitat. When you wanted to turn the lights on or off, you loosened or tightened the bulbs on the ceiling.

It was one of those times when reality just bites. Outside was sub-zero Wisconsin winter and I could hear the wind. The one bulb that I screwed in threw harsh light that didn't reach into most of the corners. It was around midnight and I was the only one awake. I sang auld lang syne to myself in a quiet voice, not all the words. I didn't know all the words then and I don't know them now. And I didn't know what auld lang syne meant. But I mumbled as much as I knew and then went back up to watch the Late-late movies.

The movies were a strange choice for New Year festivities. TV 6 showed a bunch of World War II movies. I don't remember details, except that one of them ended with an American soldier in the Philippines trying to make a radio broadcast as the Japanese advanced. He repeated "Manila calling, Manila calling".

I don't vouch for all the details of this forty year memory. But that is what I recall.

I spent the New Year 1974 working at Medusa Cement. I was working the night shifts unloading hopper cars. I made good money, but it was cold outside and the work was outside, in the dark. We had to open the bottoms of the hopper cars with heavy crowbars. I couldn't get a good grip with my gloves on, so I took them off. Cold metal against warm skin gives you a good grip but creates a bit of pain. We would work outside as long as we could tolerate it and then retreat to a shack where we had a kind of propane heater shaped like a torpedo. That thing threw off lots of heat and fumes. My associate, a guy called LC Duckworth, the strongest man I ever met, actually set the leg of his coveralls on fire by trying to warm his feet too fast. I helped put him out.

I most enjoyed riding the cars. We had to push them off and jump on the back, turning the break as fast as we could when we got near the end of the track, which would have taken us in the KK River. It could be kind of exciting.

Our operation was on the river, as mentioned above, from which I could see the clock at Allen Bradley. At the time, this was the largest four sided clock in the world. We used to call it the Polish Moon. Next to it was a temperature sign. I watched the clock reach midnight on January 1, 1974. The temperature listed was minus five Fahrenheit.

My work during the Christmas break kept me solvent through the spring semester, but I didn't use all the money I earned wisely. I bought a bunch of booze and held a belated New Year party for my friends. I was determined to enjoy their company w/o drinking myself. I learned that it is impossible to enjoy yourself as the one sober person in a room full of drunks. The jokes just are not as funny. So I decided to catch up. In short order, I drank a full bottle of Tequila and I remember nothing else until the next morning, when I tried to get out of bed, but couldn't. I had never been so sick before and so far have not been since. I couldn't actually move around, or even keep down water until around 7pm. Then I was really hungry and thirsty. Tequila used to be my booze of choice, but I have not consumed a drop of tequila since January 4, 1974. Can't even abide the smell.

A few years later, when I didn't have a Christmas break job, my friends and I went out to the bars and night clubs. I don't recall the year, but it was probably around 1976, maybe 1975. We went down to Lincoln Avenue to a place called the President's Club. I don't know how we chose it, but it was full of old people. They did not appreciate us and we didn't enjoy their company, so we decided to go to Crazy Horse, a younger person club near the airport.

I don't recall why, but our friend Mark decided that he would ride on top of the car instead of inside with the rest of us. It was pretty crowded in the back seat, but mind you that this is Wisconsin with -10 nights in January. He got up on top of the car, sort of like a deer during hunting season, and hung on for the 2 ½ miles from Lincoln Avenue to the airport. He was never quite the same after that, but you have to respect his ability to hold on. There really isn't a lot to hold onto on top of a car. Jerry had a Cutlass Supreme, which had landau roof, giving a little more traction, but not that much.

After these experiences, I adapted to a more boring party scene. The only one that really stands out in the latter days is New Year 1985. Chrissy and I were invited to a kind of command performance at a fancy club called Leopoldina in Porto Alegre. It was actually a pleasant time, with a lot of good canapés. The place was not far from our house, so we could walk back, making it possible for us to drink more freely. It was a warm night in the middle of the antipodal summer and the place had a pool with a cover on the middle. Our friend Pedro drank a few too many caipirinhas. He jumped in the water and swam under the cover, coming up on the other side, evidently just to prove he could. It was not the usual type of behavior expected at such events. All of us just kind of pretended it didn't happen - even when it was happening - and never spoke of it again. But the next year Pedro's invitation ostensibly got lost in the mail.

This New Year will not produce any funny or sad stories. Well, maybe an old guy drinking a glass of Jim Beam chased by Coke Zero is funny or sad, but I am content. "Sou César" is coming on TV. That should take me through the New Year.

Posted by Christine & John at December 31, 2011 9:22 PM
Comment #333959

Although it is different, it all remains the same.

It was not 74, but 78. It was not tequilla, it was vodka.

Everything else? Yea, pretty much the same. I haven’t been going onto the social side of New Years for a number of years. It’s not something I celebrate anymore. I don’t think alot of people celebrate it with their children because I don’t see an interest in it from pre-schoolers or elementary students. It seems to be a very adult holiday.

I hope you had a pleasant holiday, Christine & John! I did! I will add melancholy. I had a pleasant, melancholy, New Year celebration that won’t be over until Tuesday!

Posted by: Weary Willie at January 1, 2012 6:55 PM
Comment #333961

Thanks Willie

I suspect many have some similar experiences.

I was feeling very sad when I started to write, but I was much happier by the time I finished.

Posted by: C&J at January 1, 2012 7:56 PM
Comment #333964

Then, Happy New Year, C&J!

Posted by: Weary Willie at January 1, 2012 9:37 PM
Comment #333965


I have never really been a drinker, though I do enjoy a good single malt every now and then.

I spent many New Years Eves working on shows. They included the millenium, outside at the Embarcadero, in San Francisco, and two in Times Square, so I am not one to celebrate on that night.

I usually make it to about 9 or 10PM and go to bed, just like every other night.

Once you’ve worked continually on the holidays they kind of lose their luster.


Posted by: Rocky Marks at January 1, 2012 9:46 PM
Comment #333966


When I met my relatives in Poland, they apologized for being a “family of drunks”. I just told them that it proved we were related.

My father, my grandfather and all the other ancestors were boozers nigh onto the invention of beer and vodka.

I used to like to drink and worried that I would follow the path, but I didn’t. You need something better to do.

I was in Poland in the years where they adapted to the free market. When I got there the first time, lots of people, especially men, were boozers. They just didn’t care. But as they saw more upside to life, they saw more downside to boozing. The country really changed. I think that works for people as individuals.

My father drank because he sometimes had nothing better to do. It also produces a kind of pathos that you cannot get in most other ways.

I have a theory, maybe a bad theory, but I have theory that America became a great country BECAUSE of drink. Whiskey was a big product on the frontier, but it goes beyond that.

I have been drunk with friends. When you are boozing with buddies, lots of things seem possible. So imagine the scenario.

It is 1835. A bunch of guys are drinking in Western Tennessee. They start talking about Texas. Mexicans? Comanche? No problem. By the time they sober up, if they ever do, they have moved west, opening the way for other pioneers. As I said, maybe not a good theory.

Happy New Year. I drank one drink for each last night, not enough to need the Advil. I did, however, finish off the Cheerios. It was my New Year dinner. Today I had Ramen and a cheese sandwich. I will be glad when the holiday is over.

Posted by: C&J at January 1, 2012 10:15 PM
Comment #378359

The summer of 2014 is more and more close, and the weather is getting hot, so the people like to go to the beach for holiday. If you have a 2014 Yamaha Jet Ski, you will enjoy yourself in the sea, and people will cheer for you, then you will feel very good.

If you do not have Yamaha Jet Ski now, then you need to consider buy one, after you have a jet ski, you can become the focus of the beach, and many beautiful young girls will strike up a conversation with you. With Sea Doo Jet Ski you can run free on the sea, and you will have a good summer time in the beach.

2014 Yamaha Jet Ski Sale now can supply you 2013~2014 brand new genuine jet skis, we now have Yamaha, Sea Doo and Kawasaki in stock for you to choose from. In order to recover the cost, we now have promotion price for you, customers who order from us can enjoy the preferential, such as factory price and big discount.

You are welcome to order Yamaha, Sea Doo and Kawasaki Jet Ski in our online store, we will do our best to service you.

Posted by: 2014 Yamaha Jet Ski at May 14, 2014 9:02 AM
Post a comment